Thursday, September 4, 2014

Fluffy Mamon

I don't exactly recall when was the last time I've actually eaten mamon.  I'm guessing 20 or so years ago. Even while still living in Manila, it was so rare for me to buy anything from the bakeshops, not even cakes.  Funny but I somehow associate mamon with visiting someone in the hospital or going to a funeral wake.  I know it sounds odd but in the Philippines, this is the common type of food that gets brought and offered in these places!

Mamon is just a sponge or chiffon cake so while I've not eaten it in this form, I've eaten the actual cake many, many times in the recent past.  There is really nothing extra special about it except that it is super light and soft, it's buttery and it gives you a nice, quick fix when you are in need of a snack.


As you most likely know by now, when baking a chiffon cake, there are some important rules to follow for success, two of which are: 1) Never grease the pan; and 2) Invert the cake immediately after baking and let it cool completely before unmoulding from the pan.

I didn't follow these two rules when making my mamon.  Why?  First of all, because mamon tins are fluted, I didn't want the cake to stick then get wrecked when I try to remove them.  For this reason, I greased the tins with butter.  Wasn't sure how it would affect the outcome but I was willing to risk it. Secondly, I released the cakes immediately after baking.  I did this because I noticed that when I baked chiffon in smaller portions, like in a cupcake tray or in a small loaf tin, the cake almost always shrunk considerably and even caved in from the bottom.  By releasing the cakes before it actually started to pull away from the sides of the tins, I was hoping that I could minimize the shrinkage. 

I know that mamon has to be buttery so I contemplated on using melted butter in place of oil in the recipe.  After doing some research, I decided against it because I read that using butter will alter the texture of the cake and I didn't want that.  Then I remembered that I had this - 


Haven't tried this butter extract before but now is a good time for a first try, isn't it?

HOW TO MAKE FLUFFY MAMON:

1. Prepare 10 mamon tins by greasing them with softened butter. (Note: My mamon tins are quite small.  The bottom is only 3" in diameter and the top, about 3 3/4".  The height is just a little over an inch.  As I had bought these in the Philippines, I am assuming this is a standard size.  Don't know if it is available in larger sizes though.) **IMPORTANT UPDATE re GREASING TINS (6/9/14): Please scroll to the bottom of this post.


2.  Make your chiffon cake batter.  This recipe is enough for 10 pieces of mamon.

Ingredients:

{A}
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons white sugar

{B}
¼ cup corn/canola oil
4 egg yolks, from large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup water
½ teaspoon butter, vanilla, lemon, or orange extract (whichever you prefer)

{C}
4 eggwhites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

{D}
6 tablespoons white sugar

Procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large bowl, combine {A} well. Add in {B}. Beat with electric mixer or by hand until smooth and well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, beat {C} on high speed until frothy. Gradually add in the sugar {D} and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Gradually and gently fold in egg whites into egg yolk mixture.


3.  Distribute the cake batter evenly into the 10 tins.  Give the tins a gentle shake and a tap to remove air bubbles and to level off the batter.  Arrange them in a large baking tray.


4.  Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center of the cakes come out clean.


As you can see from the photo above, the cakes had risen well inspite of the fact that the tins were greased.

5.  Immediately invert the tins into a baking paper-lined wire rack.  Tap the tins to release the cakes.  Be careful not to burn your fingers!


6.  Turn the cakes over.


Although the cakes somewhat lost their puffy tops, they didn't cave in.  The tops just levelled off.  The bottoms were okey as well.  


7.  While still warm, brush the tops with softened (or melted) butter.  This will allow the cakes to absorb some of the butter thus giving it more flavour.  Finish off  by sprinkling some granulated sugar on the tops.


 8.  Now bite into one and see how soft and fluffy it is!


If not eating them right away, once they are completely cool, wrap the mamon in wax paper or cellophane to keep them fresh.  Enjoy!


UPDATE (6/9/14):  I had some extra chiffon cake batter today which I baked in two completely ungreased mamon tins.  I am happy to report that the cakes did not stick at all and they came right out when I inverted them!


I did the same thing and removed them from the tin as soon as they came out of the oven.  There was very minimal loss (if any) in height, even less than the batch baked in greased tins.


Same fluffiness too.

So yeah, if you'd like to try, I would recommend not greasing the tins.

57 comments:

  1. Hi Corinne, it made me laugh when I read where you associate mamon, hahaha! I wish I had those mamon tins so I can make this. I like mamon for snacks. Thanks for the tip of brushing soften butter on the tins. Those look delicious! ~Mela~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corinne been waiting for this, thank you so much for sharing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Corinne,

    I messed around with your mamon recipe over the weekend by substituting clarified/drawn butter for the oil. (I understood why you didn't just add melted butter to the recipe because of the properties of butter. I figured that by clarifying the butter it would be more like oil, no milk solids and very little, if any, water content.) I also added a 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon extract. It turned out great, very buttery and the same texture as your wonderful chiffon. Two things to note: When making the clarified butter, make sure to do it over low heat so that it will not brown. The other is that it is critical that all the other ingredients be at room temperature, especially the eggs, or else the batter will congeal and look separated. (Butter is after all still a saturated fat that will congeal when chilled.)

    This was a wonderful permutation of your much loved vanilla chiffon. Thanks for sharing!

    Oh, one other thing; it's better to use molds with a shiny finish rather than a dark finish or else the sides of the mamon will brown. I made the mistake of using dark finished high-sided tartlet molds (a pasalubong from a friend that went to Paris) and the mamon had browned crusty edges. The cheap ones I have from the Philippines, like yours, worked much better. And, yes to the no greasing part. They come out just fine, so long as they're unmolded while still hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on clarified butter. How about using ghee?

      Delete
    2. Ghee would work too, as long as the ghee is good. I've used it in my genoise cakes instead of clarifying butter myself. From my experience, sometimes ghee at the Indian market as has already gone rancid, so its better to buy it from a place that has it in the refrigerated section. Also, depending on the manufacturer, some ghees are cooked too much and there's already a nutty flavor, which will impart itself in the final flavor of whatever you're baking.

      Delete
  4. Im delighted with this :) thanks corinne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a timely piece. I was also thinking about making mamon using your lovely chiffon recipe and locally produced butter oil in SG. I have made an attempt once but not happy with the resulting flavor. Butter flavor came too strong. Perhaps LorAnn have a more subtler butter flavouring than what I bought from my local baking supply shop. Must attempt again as soon as I get my hands on LorAnns butter extract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flavouring in the oil form is more concentrated than extracts and should be used sparingly (not 1:1 substitution). I suggest you read the comment and tip above about using clarified butter. Using that will impart a natural butter flavour rather than using extracts.

      Delete
  6. found you in BHM,and Im so glad I did:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Corinne,

    I baked up more mamon today using your 7 egg chiffon recipe because I needed quantity. I followed your recipe to the tee, and even used oil, but added 1 1/2 teaspoons of the LorAnn Professional Kitchen Butter Bakery Emulsion. It worked wonderfully and the butter flavor was very pronounced. I've never really cared for LorAnn Flavor Oils, but this Bakery Emulsion stuff from them is great. It has the viscosity of an extract and is used like an extract as opposed the oils which have to be used sparingly. They're alcohol free too. There's a coffee flavored one, which I want to try making your tiramisu cake with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the cream cheese and princess cake cookie bakery emulsions. I have tried using them both in frosting but didn't quite like them. The cream cheese one doesn't taste anything like cream cheese. Haven't tried using in cake though.

      Delete
  8. Thank you Corinne! Will definitely try yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Corrine i have been inspired by your baking sharing here in your blog. We are just neighbors too. I live in NZ, I don't think we have cake flour here in NZ. Where do you get you CF in Melbourne? Is it available online in casebI want to buy? Thanks I made your Ube chiffon and its a big hit here when i made it. My email add ( grace5960@yahoo.com) Thanks again Corrine.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Corinne,

    What is the exact oven temperature? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is written in the recipe - 170 deg C.

      Delete
  11. Hi miss Corinne,i have tried this recipe,so soft and fluffy.i just added lemon zest for extra flavor.but the tops are not as pretty as yours,yours have a nicley brown top.i don't have mamon moulds so i'm using muffin pan lined with cupcake liners,but mine is not that brown on top and sticky po sya,so when i inverted it on a parchment paper after baking,it ended up sticking on the paper.i just top my mamon with grated cheese.i'm using a conventional oven with the heat source at the botttom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are using cupcake liners then there's really no point in turning them over. The only reason I do that is because I release the cakes from the tin. After that, I turned them back right up so as to prevent the tops from sticking to the paper.

      You can try sprinkling icing sugar all over your baking paper. That will most likely prevent the cupcake tops from sticking.

      I have a conventional gas oven too with heat source at the back bottom.

      Delete
  12. Thanks po miss Corinne,all this time i thought the reason for turning them over is to prevent shrinkage.i guess i dont need to do that anymore.thanks po for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Corinne I don't know where to buy clear butter here in Philippines. do you have any suggestion alternative for clear butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to use butter flavouring. You can use lemon or vanilla extract instead.

      Delete
  14. hi Corinne.. im glad to say that i successfully made the mamon yesterday... it is just like yours :-) by the way have tried making chocolate mamon with filling?

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi can i use veg oil instead of canola or corn oil?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. Whats the size of your tin cases? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mamon tins measure 4" across the top and are about 1 1/8" high.

      Delete
  17. Hello,
    I just came across your blogspot and i know that its a long shot but I'm hoping that you
    see my comment.I have made mamon from different sites/recipes and and your recipe by far is the best.mine came out very fluffy.Anyways,just wanted to ask if I can add flavors to the recipe like ube or mocha maybe?If so, what would be the measurements? Thank you.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mamon is basically just chiffon baked in fluted tins. Try using the chiffon cake recipes on this site (ube, mocha, chocolate, etc).

      Delete
  18. hi corrine...just finished baking these wonderful mamon...i can't thank you enough...these are heavenly mamon...fluffy, smooth texture with just the right amount of sweetness...i already gobbled 2! hahaha...this is supposed to be for breakfast later...again thank you for sharing this recipe...(:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Do you double boil your egg whites with sugar? Before beating them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you read the recipe? We are making mamon, not buttercream.

      Delete
  20. hi miss corinne, i dont have mamon molds, can i make this into cake instead? if so, are there any adjustments with the temp and baking time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can bake this in an ungreased 8x3 round at same temperature (170deg C) for about 50 minutes.

      Delete
  21. Hi Corrine, a friend of mine have given me your blog site for mamon...on your recipe i calls for 1 cup and 2 tbsp cake flour...i cannot find cake flour here in NZ...by any chance do you have the measurement to convert standard flour to cake flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 cup cake flour = 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons plain flour

      Delete
    2. do you convert 2 tbsp of flour to 2 tbsp cake flour too? and what is the conversion? thank you

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I left out an important thing in my previous comment and that is to add cornstarch to your plain flour. Here's what you should do:

      Measure out the required 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons plain flour. From that, take out 2 1/4 tablespoons. Replace this amount with the same amount of cornstarch. Sift your mixture 5 times. That's your cake flour substitute for this recipe.

      By replacing some of the plain flour with cornstarch, you are lowering the overall protein/gluten content thus making it similar to cake flour.

      Delete
    4. thanks...will try to bake this over the weekend

      Delete
  22. Hi Corine, I tried your Mamon recipe and was so happy with the result. My family loves it. Thanks heaps for sharing.

    Btw, I don't just love your recipes....I also love your handiwork compilations. You are so amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Miss Corrine, I'll try your recipe. I've tried a lot of recipe. I'll give you a feedback. Anyway, Do you have a YouTube video while doing your baking? Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Corinne,
    I made this last Tuesday and I will tell you it's a success. Always wanted to know the recipe, it's either the recipe is wrong or the instructions are not clearly as yours. Thank you, this one is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can i use all purpose flour ? Instead of cake flour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All purpose flour contains more protein than cake flour. Using it instead of cake flour will yield cake that is not as soft as it should be.

      Delete
  26. Hi miss Corrine, i tried your recipe and its a success! !! How about ube mamon, what are the ingredients? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try using fhe ube cake recipe here.

      Delete
  27. Hi Corrine, I made this recipe 3 times now and each time was a success except for the browning and sticking. Which leads me to my two questions. First, mine doesn't brown like yours does. I'm in the US and when I looked up the conversion of 170C to F it shows, 338F. I couldn't get my oven to that exact temp. The closest I can get it to is 335. If I want to achieve a golden brown like yours, is it okay to set it to 335 and for how long I should be baking the mamons? Secondly, mine sticks specially on the ridges of the molders whether I butter or not. So I have to pry it out carefully with a toothpick. The molders appears to be made out of aluminum. Will that make a difference? Thanks for your help. I apologize this is long. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oven temperature doesn't have to be exactly 338F. 335F is fine. Personally, I actually prefer a less brown top. Maybe what you can do is start off at 335F then maybe increase it to 350F for the last 5 minutes of baking? I am not sure if this will achieve the browning that you want so it may take a little bit of trial and error.

      As for the sticking, do you take out the mamon from the tin as soon as it comes out of the oven? I find that the onger it cools down, the more likely it will stick to the ridges (I think). Also, if you butter your tins well, I don't really see why the mamon sticks.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the quick reply. I do let them cool down as I find the tins too hot to handle. I will definitely try your suggestion. Follow up questions - how long does the mamons keep? and what's the better way to store it? (room temp &/or countertop or fridge?). I didn't get a chance to keep them as either, they were gone within minutes or was given as a gift. Thanks in advance.

      Delete
    3. I am not certain about the shelf life, sorry. As with all cakes, the longer it sits, the drier it becomes. As long as you keep them well wrapped, they will be ok for a few days I suppose. I tend to keep leftovers in the fridge. Just not comfortable leaving anything out at room temperature!

      Delete
  28. Hi I'm so happy I found your blog. It's a godsend. Where did you buy them fluted tins? And what sizes are those? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi ms Corinne. Thank you for this recipe. I will be making mamon for our pinoy pride filipino party this weekend. Is it ok if i triple or quadruple the ingredients to make more batter in one preparation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends on whether you can bake all your mamon in the oven all at once. You cannot let the cake batter sit while you have a batch in the oven. The eggwhites will deflate.

      Delete
  30. Hi ms corrine I tried this and it was.good!!my only problem was it was difficult to remove it fr the pan. It stuck. And the top also got scraped when.I turned it over the wax paper. What could I have done wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just butter your tins next time for easy unmoulding :)

      As for the tops sticking to the baking paper, you can remedy this by sprinkling the paper with powdered sugar. What I personally do these days though is just unmoulding the mamon directly into my hands then turning it quickly right side up before resting it on baking paper to cool.

      Delete