Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Funfetti Chiffon Cake

Funfetti (or confetti) cake, in case you didn't know, is simply a white/vanilla cake with rainbow sprinkles. 

From the outside, it looks like a very ordinary birthday cake...


Because the "fun" is actually on the inside.


Truth is, I don't even like vanilla cake all that much.  What made this particular cake that I made more special, was not the sprinkles.  It was the frosting! Cream cheese Swiss meringue buttercream.

Cream cheese frosting is quite tangy and at the same time, very sweet.  The SMBC version is barely sweet with only a hint of cream cheese.  It is also really very light,,,you would want to eat it with a spoon!

To make this cake, you will need to bake the usual vanilla chiffon (recipe here).  I used two 6x3 round cake pans because I wanted a small cake with more layers. One 8" round will do as well, that is, if you intend to have only 2 layers.

When making the vanilla chiffon, fold in 1/4 cup of sprinkles to the eggyolk batter, along with the last addition of eggwhites.


Your final batter will look something like this.  You can certainly use more sprinkles, if you prefer.


Here are my two 6" cakes after they have cooled down.


To make the CREAM CHEESE SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM, you need to make a batch of the usual SMBC (recipe here). 


Transfer your SMBC to another bowl.  Using the same mixing bowl and beater you used to make your SMBC (I did not find washing them necessary!), beat 125 grams of soft, room temperature cream cheese until it is very smooth.


With mixer on medium-low speed, add in your SMBC to the cream cheese, one tablespoon at a time. After the last addition, increase speed to high and beat mixture until it is light and creamy.  The consistency is somewhat like stiff whipped cream.  It is soft but pipeable.

Now taste that.  What do you think?


If you want a bit more tang, you can add in some lemon extract.  Or you can probably even use more cream cheese. Personally, I already love it as is.

To assemble the Funfetti cake:

Cut your two 6" cakes (or one 8")  in half. For my cake, I only wanted three layers.  

Spread frosting on each layer and stack them as pictured.


Crumb coat then chill cake in the fridge for a few minutes.


Do a final coat of frosting and decorate as you wish!


That would make a great birthday cake for kids, wouldn't it?  Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful looking funfetti cake Miss Corinne.
    I was just wondering if you are going to share your nutella and yeast donut recipe here? Oh and the queso and ube cake too. I saw them at your Flickr account, and they look so delicious. Hope you are recovering well from your surgery.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already published a yeast donut recipe here a long time ago. All you need to do is fill the donuts up with Nutella and dust with icing sugar!

      The quezo and ube cake will be in my next post.

      Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Miss Corinne for always sharing your recipes. Will check your previous post on donut recipe.

      Delete
  2. As a kid, I didn't like funfetti cakes because of how the sprinkles bleed into the cake. I like your creamcheese buttercream here, though. I will try it soon (with some key lime juice perhaps because I generally like everything with creamcheese a bit sour).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Corinne,

    I made the cream cheese SMBC over the weekend but used it for a different cake instead. I made a half trial batch a few days before, and it was excellently delicious as is, but I wanted it to be touch bit tangier because I was using strained raspberry jam, which was on the sweet side, as the filling for my cake. I dug around my cupboards and found buttermilk powder. When it came time to make the SMBC for my intended cake, I added 1 teaspoon to the cream cheese as I was beating it. The end result was a pleasantly tangier version of the SMBC.

    By the way, the cake I made was an almond version of your chiffon cake. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to your four egg chiffon recipe as the flavoring. The filling was strained raspberry jam with the cream cheese SMBC and frosted with more of the SMBC.

    Thanks sharing the new SMBC flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi does this hold stable peaks even at room temperature?
    im looking for a cream cheese frosting that holds well even at room temp coz the plain cream cheese used in red velvet and carrot cake just doesnt do justice especially for frosting cupcakes. they have tendency to melt ot drip.
    hope you could help.
    ty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I've said in the post, this frosting is like stiff whipped cream. It is soft but pipeable. I did not refrigerate this cake and had no problems with it at room temperature.

      The cream cheese frosting I use for my red velvet cupcakes is very stiff and makes really nice, distinct swirls. The key for me is to use cream cheese straight from the fridge.

      Delete
    2. yrs. i did that used s cream cheese frosting straight fron fridge. but once left at room trmp is started to melt or drip.

      Delete
    3. I did not mean cream cheese frosting straight from the fridge. I meant the cream cheese itself. I don't ever get soft frosting when I use cold cream cheese.

      Delete