Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Quezo Ube cake

Do you know what mantecado is?  

The one and only thing I can say about mantecado is that it's an ice cream flavour I remember eating when I was young, but what it is exactly, I really don't know.  Based on my internet research, it seems that mantecado can mean slightly different things depending on what culture you are from.  For Filipinos, it is mostly associated with, as I've already mentioned, an ice cream flavour which translates to "butter vanilla".  It is creamier than regular vanilla ice cream because it is made with eggs and whole milk. Some refer to it as French vanilla.  

The Quezo-Ube cake of Goldilocks Bakeshop in the Philippines is frosted and filled with a mantecado buttercream. For me, not only is the flavour combination of cheese and purple yam a little intriguing, the so-called mantecado buttercream has gotten me curious as well.  This cake has been on my list of "to clone even though I have not tasted" cakes for a while now. 

The Creamy Quezo Ube cake from Goldilocks.

As a buttercream, I reckon the closest to mantecado is the French type, one that is made with eggyolks and has a very rich, buttery taste.  This is the same buttercream used in Sans Rival.   I could be wrong though.  Perhaps those who have tasted mantecado buttercream can enlighten me.

What about the cakes?  I've mastered the ube cake ages ago.  As for the quezo chiffon cake, it took me four tries before I was finally happy with the taste and texture.  I found that the amount and kind of cheese needed to be right in order for the chiffon to remain light and soft and for the flavour to be apparent without being too savoury. (Note: This is NOT the same quezo chiffon cake in the Frosted Heaven eBook.  That one was fashioned from a different cake in another bakeshop/cafe.)  

My own take on the cake.  No sprinkles on this one!


For the quezo chiffon cake, I used grated parmesan cheese like this...


Maybe some of you will question my choice but I decided on this one because, as the label indicates, this parmesan cheese has a "strong, bold flavour".  Based on the smell alone, I knew that a little amount will go a long way.  Also, it is very finely grated, making it easy to evenly incorporate into the cake batter.  If ever you decide to make this cake, I would recommend that you use the same brand to get the same results as mine. Be mindful about using other parmesan cheese brands, particularly the cheap, supermarket kind.  Those taste more of salt rather than cheese!  One other thing - I also cannot guarantee success if you use other types of cheese.  

Anyway, enough of that introduction.  Let's first learn how to make the quezo chiffon cake, shall we? I prepared this one a little differently than my usual chiffon, so please don't skip reading through the procedure.

QUEZO (CHEESE) CHIFFON CAKE (makes one 8x3 round cake)

{A}
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons white sugar

{B}
4 egg yolks, from large eggs, at room temperature* 
¼ cup corn/canola oil
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 40g)

{C}
4 eggwhites*
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar

{D}
6 tablespoons white sugar

*Weight of one egg is approximately 55-60g.  Labelled as LARGE in some places but XL eggs in Australia.

Procedure:
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
2. In a large bowl, combine {A} well. In another bowl, whisk to combine {B}. Make sure the cheese is mixed in well and is lump-free.
3. Add mixture {B} into {A}. Beat with electric mixer or by hand until smooth and well blended.
4. In a separate bowl, beat {C} on high speed until frothy. Gradually add in the sugar {D} and beat until stiff peaks are formed. Gradually and gently fold in egg whites into egg yolk mixture. Pour batter into an ungreased 8” round, 3” high pan.
5. Bake for about 50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan into wire rack immediately and cool completely.
6. To release cake from pan, carefully run a thin knife around sides of pan and invert cake onto a large serving plate. **Tip: For easier handling, wrap your cake very well in cling film, then refrigerate overnight before frosting.

To make the Quezo Ube cake:

1.  You need to bake one quezo chiffon cake and one 8" round ube chiffon cake (half of recipe here but use 4 eggs).

2.  You also need to make French vanilla buttercream.  Same procedure as the buttercream here but use these amounts for a slightly larger batch:

3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2T water
4 eggyolks
1 whole egg
1 1/2 cups butter (340g), softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Add in the vanilla extract after all the butter has been incorporated.

3. Cut your ube and quezo chiffon cakes in half or in whatever thickness you prefer.  Mine are 1 1/2" high layers.  Set aside the excess layers for future use or for snacking.

Place the ube cake layer in your cake board, spread some buttercream, then top with the quezo cake layer.


4. Crumb coat the cake then chill in the fridge for a few minutes.


5.  Cover the entire cake smoothly with buttercream.  You don't need a thick coat as this buttercream is very rich. Remember to leave enough for the borders and decorations.


6.  If desired, use a cake comb to make a pattern on the cake top and sides. (Sorry, I did not do a very good job on my cake top!)


7.  Place a small amount of buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe a rosette border around the top edge. (I used a tip 18 for small rosettes because I feared I did not have enough buttercream but a tip 21 would have been a better size.)

If you have yellow and purple sprinkles, now is the time to splash them onto the cake sides!


8. Colour 3/4 of your remaining buttercream PURPLE and the rest YELLOW. (I used Americolor regal purple and egg yellow.)


9.  Pipe a purple shell border using tip 21 along the cake bottom.


10.  Pipe 8 equally spaced small yellow rosebuds with purple leaves on top of the rosette border. (I know my flowers do not actually look like rosebuds, but they will have to do! The flower decors on Goldilocks' cake do not appear to be piped buttercream but are most likely moulded.  Sugar or chocolate, I can't really tell.)


There. Now you're done!


Perfect.


Have fun trying this one out!

26 comments:

  1. i love mantecado ice cream and i prefer this more than vanilla ice cream. glad you posted this recipe. i will try this in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Corinne! The rosebuds on the Goldilock's cake are colored white chocolate.

    You know, I always thought that mantecado was brown brutter; I didn't know it was just plain butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be brown butter. As I said, I don't really know. Have you tasted mantecado buttercream?

      Thanks for the info on the roses!

      Delete
    2. Well, I've had that Goldilock's many times, so I can say I have tried mantecado buttercream. :D It doesn't taste that much different from plain buttercream though.

      Delete
    3. I guess they're just trying to sound fancy!

      Delete
  3. I just thought of something while reading this recipe again: I'll make your ube cupcake, and then top it off with buttercream and sharp cheese! I'll have a junior size of this cake!

    BTW, Corinne, I forgot to mention that the buttercream of the Goldilocks cake is really yellow. If you plan to make this cake again, and if you don't mind more food color in your frosting, you can add a tinge of yellow in your frosting if only to suggest the presence of cheese in the cake. For me it isn't necessary, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, my buttercream was more yellow-orangey in reality but my camera failed to capture it. A little food colouring may help suggest the cheese flavour more. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Good luck with the cupcakes!

      Delete
  4. Another awesome cake, thank you Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is new to me. Never had those 2 flavors in one cake, but it looks good! The roses in Goldilocks cake look too uniform and perfect, you're right, maybe it's moulded. It doesn't look like it's made of buttercream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Corinne! I just want to know what kind of butter you used in Queso Ube Cake and Yema Cake? Is it salted or unsalted butter? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it just says "butter", I mean regular butter (salted). You can use unsalted as well and just add a pinch of salt.

      Delete
  7. thank you so much for this recipe! just made one today and i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite the seemly odd flavor combination, the cake is delicious. The savoriness of the cheese chiffon complements the sweetness of the cake perfectly. The French vanilla buttercream is surprisingly light, despite the rich ingredients.

    I've always been intimidated by adding sugar syrup to eggs. My experience hasn't always been positive; on numerous occasions, I've had crunchy bits in my frosting when using this technique because the sugar syrup hardened upon touching the eggs. For your French vanilla buttercream, I bypassed the sugar syrup step. I ommited the water, added the sugar directly to the eggs, and heat the mixture over a double-boiler, SMBC style. Per an ATK episode, egg yolks begin to coagulate at 180 degrees F, so I heat the mixture to 160 degrees F to kill the bacteria and melt the sugar. The rest of the steps were just like making SMBC with a mixer, beating the egg mixture until fluffy and beige in color, and adding the butter and flavoring. To mitigate the sweetness because of the omission of water, I went ahead and added a full 2 cups of softened butter. The frosting came out just fine in the end!

    Many thanks for sharing your clone of this cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had the same experience when using hot sugar syrup with buttercream, that is why I prefer SMBC over IMBC. It's really difficult to aim for that spot right between the bowl and the whisk, especially with the KitchenAid mixer. Luckily, I was gifted a second stand mixer (different brand) which conveniently has a big space between the bowl and the beaters! It's what I use when I need to pour in sugar syrup.

      Delete
  9. Hi! I enjoyed reading your baking stories and pictures! Your Montecado is like Crème Anglaise. It is a classic French Vanilla custard sauce. Very rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creme anglaise is different - it's eggyolks, sugar and milk. The one here is buttercream.

      Delete
  10. Another yummy creation Ms.Corrine!! Can't wait to try this one.. But I have one question... What kind of butter did you used for the frosting? Salted or unsalted butter??? Will surely try to do this on holidays! Kisses and more power!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Corinne, would you squeeze the ube dry if you used the freshly boiled kind? My dad just boiled a lot of ube this morning, and they are beautifully purple. I want to make cakes out of them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I ask what can cheese I can use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As mentioned in my post, I cannot guarantee success if you use some other kind of cheese. I can only recommend the fine parmesan cheese.

      Delete