Sunday, May 1, 2016

Coffee Crunch Cake

I KNOW...I KNOW.  I have been missing in action for a while now.  I am aware that many of you have already been wondering what has become of me.  Well, I'm still here! Just way too busy to stop or even pause to post something new! I have a little time to kill at the moment (while waiting to pick up my daughter from work so late at night) so I thought of doing some updating. Not that much time to write something entirely new BUT the good news is, I actually have a completed post that has been sitting in my drafts folder for months now! I don't really remember why I never got around to publishing it. So better now when I have the chance, correct?

It's another cake hack!

Image credit: Red Ribbon Bakeshop website
That's Red Ribbon Bakeshop's coffee crunch cake (of course, you knew that already).  Here's the copycat I made for my husband's birthday last November.


Now here's how to make it. (Sorry for being so direct.  Told you, I didn't have that much time on my hands.)  Anyway, enjoy!

COFFEE CRUNCH CAKE (makes one 8" cake)

This cake has four components: the vanilla chiffon, the whipped cream frosting, the caramel sauce, and the coffee crunch. Don't be intimidated! Save for the frosting, the three other elements can be made ahead so that's less stress! 

Make days head:

1. 8" vanilla chiffon cake - recipe here.  Freeze then thaw about an hour before you plan to frost it.

2. The COFFEE CRUNCH:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup strong black/brewed coffee
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon baking soda, sifted

Line a baking tray with baking paper or silpat.

In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the sugar, coffee, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil. Clip a candy thermometer onto the side of the pan. Cook over medium heat to just below the hard-crack stage (310 deg F or 155 deg C).

Remove from heat. Sprinkle the baking soda evenly over coffee sugar syrup. Whisk just until combined. 

Pour immediately onto the prepared baking sheet. Do not spread. Let stand until cool and hard, about 30 minutes.


Break into approximately 1/2" pieces.  Keep in an airtight container until ready to use.


3. The CARAMEL SAUCE:

Ingredients:

3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons thickened cream (or heavy whipping cream)
pinch of salt

In a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan and over medium heat, melt the sugar until it is golden amber in colour.  You can move the pan from side to side to ensure even melting but do not stir the sugar.

Slowly pour the cream down the side of the pan.  The mixture will bubble up and splatter.  Mix with a spoon until smooth. Add in the salt.

Transfer the caramel sauce to a container.  Let cool completely, cover, then refrigerate.  Bring to room temperature before using.



To assemble this cake:

1. Make a batch of stable whipped cream frosting (recipe here).

2. Cut your cake horizontally in half then place top layer, cut side up on your cake board.  

Fill a large piping bag fitted with a large star tip with some whipped cream frosting then pipe a dam around the cake edge. Spread some whipped cream on the space inside the dam.


3.  Fill the cake center generously with coffee crunch pieces.


4.  Cover the center with more whipped cream.


5.  Top with the remaining cake half, cut side down.  Frost the entire cake then run a cake comb around the cake side.


6.  With the same bag and star tip you used for making the dam in step 2, pipe large stars around the cake top, about 1/2" in from the edge.


7.  Put some runny, room temperature caramel sauce in a small piping bag. (If your caramel sauce has thickened too much from refrigeration, take a small amount and microwave it for just a few seconds to make it more liquid BUT not hot.)  Cut a small bit off the tip of your piping bag then drizzle all around the cake edge.


8.  Fill another small piping bag with thick caramel sauce.  Snip a little bit off the end again then pipe spirals on top of each star on the cake top.


8.  Just before serving, fill the cake center with lots of coffee crunch. (Once the coffee crunch is exposed to air and moisture, it will shrink and melt and become a sticky mess so DO NOT place it on the cake until you are ready to serve.)


33 comments:

  1. Hi miss corinne. Glad to see a new post from you. Been your follower for quite sometime now. I have a question. If i want to bake a 10x10 square and 12x14 rectangle chiffon cake using your vanilla chiffon recipe, how will i adjust your recipe accordingly? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a 10x10x3 cake pan, a double recipe would suffice (double everything and use 7 eggs).

      The largest cake I do is a 9x13x3. For that, I triple the recipe and use 11 eggs. Bigger than this, cakes tend to bake unevenly (dry edges, wet centers) so I have limited myself to this size.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the reply. I am a self taught baker and chiffon cake is not my thing. But as any other baker, i want to expand my knowledge to all types of baked goods. I only bake chiffon when i get asked to bake a yema cake by my family. Your chiffon cake really looked awesome that's why i want to try your recipe and we are quite a big family so i needed a bigger cake recipe. Please continue sharing your recipes. It's a great help for bakers like me. Have a great day ahead...

      Delete
  2. Hi! First time to comment here. I am filipina just like you and living here in Brampton, Canada for 8 yrs now.
    I was so hooked to your blog�� And like you i love chiffon cakes��
    Glad to know your back!
    Your recipes are awesome!!!! Your techniques helped me a lot in baking, than you��
    Have you tried baking a 12" x 3 " round pan? I want to try but i don't know how much of the recipe...
    Thanks anyway and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a 12x3 round, make 1 1/2 recipes of the chiffon cake (that would be 3 3/8 cup cake flour). Just triple all the ingredients but I find that 11 eggs are enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Corrine. I have a question on the coffee crunch. When u say 1/4 cup strong coffee is that pure coffee powder or mixed with water? And on ur direction you said combine sugar, water and corn syrup. Did u mean coffee instead of sugar? Thanks in advance for your reply. I want to try baking this this weekend.

    May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion. It's made up black/brewed coffee, not coffee powder. Also, not water but the coffee. I will edit, thanks.

      Delete
  5. Hi Corinne,

    Two questions for you... First what happens to the coffee crunch in the filling, texturally? Does it get sticky and chewy? It seems like this cake should be assembled the day of rather than the night before. Second, any tips for getting clean slices out of this cake? It looks pretty hard to portion because of the coffee crunch pieces.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coffee crunch in the filling does melt and shrink. The good thing about that, however, is that it gives the whipped cream a caramel-y flavour. Also, because the coffee crunch has softened already, it is not difficult to slice cleanly. You do have to work around the topping though.

      Google for photos of Red Ribbon's cake. You'll see how their coffee crunch is all melted and sticky! I will email you a photo of my sliced cake also when I have the time :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Corinne-just wanted to say thanks for sharing all of your recipes and for giving instructions as well. I appreciate all that you do for your blog! I am wanting to start my cake baking/decorating adventures! I just recently made my first strawberry naked cake for a friend's baby. However, I did not make the cake from scratch but I would now like to learn how to make it from scratch & your blog is going to help me so much! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Corinne,

    Your cakes are the best! I always check your blog first, before deciding what to bake. :-) I made this one for my nephew's birthday last weekend. Mine was sorta semi-fail...the bottom of chiffon cake caved in, so I didn't have the correct height. I actually baked it twice and I still got the same result, but it was still fluffy! I wonder where I went wrong. Also, I always have the same problem with the whipped cream frosting...it's not stable enough to make star shapes. :-(

    It was still a success, because everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your cake sunk from the top, it might mean it was underbaked. However, if it caved in from the bottom, that probably means the cake pulled away from the baking paper when it was inverted.

      Next time, don't use any baking paper. Simply sprinkle some drops of water on the bottom of your pan then pour your cake batter straight in. The cake will stick, yes. But don't worry, it will unmould just fine and it will not sink!

      As for the whipped cream frosting, make sure you use everything cold - the whipping cream, the cream cheese, the bowl and beaters.

      Delete
  8. Hi Ms Corrine! I tried to make the coffee crunch today however when I left it at room temp. it melted overnight? Do you know what went wrong? I stay in singapore and weather fairly humid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you kept it in an airtight container, I don't see why it should melt that easily.

      Delete
  9. Hi Corinne,
    I just saw your answer to the question about doubling the ingredients - so if i double the ingredients example instead of 2cups of flour i will do 4 but the egg stays 7? Just double all the other ingredients but the egg remains? Thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...sorry, Corinne i didnt realise that the recipe you used is for 8" only, i apologise. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to apologize! For double the 8" cake recipe, I use 7 eggs. For triple, 11 eggs.

      Delete
  11. Hi ask ko lang po can i use the peotrarco glucose instead of livht corn syrup??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can substitute glucose.

      Delete
    2. Ms Corrine I noticed that most of your cakes are chiffon and made with cake flour.. ask ko lang po if ever how can I substitute cake flour in your recipes? Will it still be as good as your chiffon made with cake flour?

      Delete
    3. Cake flour is essential in making chiffon cakes. If you absolutely cannot find cake flour, however, the substitute would be: 1 cup of cake flour = 7/8 cup all purpose flour + 1/8 cup cornstarch.

      Delete
    4. Panu po measurement ng recipe sa 12x3 round pan?

      Delete
    5. You have to make triple the recipe. Please work out the measurements.

      Delete
  12. Same parin po ng measure like sa light corn syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Can I use Dona Elena pure olive oil instead of corn/canola oil?

      Delete
    2. Olive oil has flavour. You should use a flavourless oil like vegetable, corn or canola oil.

      Delete
  14. Hi Corrine, this was the very first cake i ever baked in my whole life. Thanks to you. I baked it for my sister as a surprise. She loves Red Ribbon Coffee Crunch Cake and we couldn't find anything close to this cake here in London.

    I love your cake so much that i bake one every week (i gained 3kg from eating this cake) :)))

    Thank you for sharing your talent and skills to everyone. Can i just have one request please?? Another cake hack...my favorite Red Ribbon Cake, their chocolate mousse. :)))

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know you liked it!

      The chocolate mousse cake hack will be part of my next recipe book :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Ms Corinne. I'm from the Philippines and you know the weather here is quite hot. I'm concerned about the whipped cream frosting, do you think it will hold at room temp? Also, if i wanted to bake a small cake (5" diameter 3" height) what should be the baking time? I tried doing your green tea and white chocolate cake using this pan but it didn't come out right. Thanks for the reply and for the amazing recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whipped cream frosting here is stabilized with cream cheese so it will not soften as easily as plain whipped cream. Having said that though, it is better to keep the cake in the fridge till service time.

      The recipe is suitable for two 6" cake tins. If have two 5" tins, you will have some extra batter. I have not tried baking that size of cake but for the 6", it usually takes 35-40 minutes in my oven.

      Delete