Monday, February 28, 2011

Prince Charming Suit

I generally like being challenged into making things I've never made before...but sometimes, I get myself into these difficult situations just because I find it so hard to say 'no' to people.

I recently met this young mom in the baby shower I attended a few weeks ago.  One day, I got a very unexpected phone call from her.  She said she was so impressed with the handmade baby presents I brought to the shower that she thought I could help her with something.  Her son is turning one year old in April and she was wondering if I could make a Prince Charming costume for him to wear on his birthday party.

I've sewn just a few clothes for my youngest when he was a toddler.  They weren't very good at all.  But then again, that was years ago and my sewing skills weren't that good either.  So I thought, why not?  I'd give it a shot.  If it doesn't work out, at least, I tried.  The timing was in a way perfect cause I just got myself a second-hand overlocker/serger from eBay.  This was a great opportunity to try the machine out.

She sent me a link to this awesome tutorial and provided me with Size 1 top and pants to base my patterns from.  I got to work right away.  Three days into the project and not without much frustration, I managed to finish it.




The royal blue colour was the mom's choice as she had already purchased a hat/crown to match.  I used satin for both the coat and the pants. It wasn't the easiest of fabrics to work with but I reckoned it was the most appropriate and the most comfortable for a baby.  The trims on the pants, collar and belt, as well as the frill on the shoulder (the epaulettes) are all gold (but look yellow on the photos). The tutorial was a huge help though I changed some things to make the whole process easier.  Having the overlocker was great!  The seams were all nice and neat.

Would you have asked to be paid for making this suit?  I didn't, inspite of everyone around me telling me to do so.  I asked payment for the materials alone.  I am not a professional seamstress and I don't want people to expect me to do a flawless job just because I am being paid for it.  I did my best and that's enough satisfaction for me. 

Would I do this again?  Maybe not.  I sew my own shorts because they're pretty easy to do but baby clothes???  My son was joking me that soon, people will be asking me to make wedding gowns.  Oh please!!!!

Speaking of weddings, here's a sneak peek into another challenge I got myself into...

  
Will keep you posted on how that went!  Wish me luck...

5 comments:

  1. O Corinne,
    How sweet! That little outfit is to die for . I know that fabric had to be the "pits" to work with. I would have had to had a race horse to keep up with it running away!

    That was a very sweet gesture and I love the way you thought about it - they were VERY lucky to have you pull off such a wonderful gift!

    Linda - another granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww I love this. I can't wait for my LO to get big enough for me to make him such an adorable outfit like this. Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anyway possible you'd be able to make one fir a 6 mo old for Halloween?? I could pay through pay pal!!! Thanx mikeysholla8@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there possible way you'd be able to make one for my 7 month old for Halloween? emai me... to make deal ... ana.reyes1710@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry but I have no time to sew these days!

      Delete