Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Long overdue iPad case

This project has been in the drawing board since late last year. (We got our iPad2 in November.)  To be honest, we didn't really need an iPad case.  The only reason I wanted to make one was because I wanted to learn how to.  

As expected, what held me back all these months was the thought of installing the zipper.  Zippers are in fact always on top of the list to avoid when I am thinking of something to sew.  In this case, however, it was particularly important to me to have a zippered closure.

Yesterday, as I was throwing away piled up scrap papers, I found some of the notes I had made before.  I actually had my measurements and steps already written down and I had forgotten all about them.  

It was about time I tried.

The result is not super great but still very pleasing, considering the fact that again, my overeagerness led me to some bad stitching here and there.



The outer cover is denim lined with fusible fleece.  I printed out an Apple logo and used it as a template to make my applique.


The interior is quilting weight cotton lined with light fusible interfacing. I used a continuous zipper cut to length for this purpose.  As with my other recent projects (cosmetic bag and travel wallet to be specific), I opted for bias binding to give the cover a nice finish.



Most of the handmade iPad cases I've seen on the net are either simple padded sleeves or just larger versions of cosmetic type/zippered bags.  In saying that, I reckon my case is quite a nice change....with elastic corners to hold the iPad and zippered all the way around for greater security!

What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Well done - really!!!!!
    This is so adorable! I also think about such a nice case for my "darling"!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to release a pattern or tutorial? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please Please Please share the instructions. I have made the city bag and the messenger bag that you have shared and love both. I would love to have this for my IPad

    ReplyDelete