Monday, August 9, 2010

Toilet Paper Roll Cozy

There are tissue box covers.  There are travel tissue holders.  Why not one for a toilet paper roll?

Unlike tissue boxes which now come in a variety of designs and colours, most toilet paper rolls remain plain and white.  And of course, they are uncovered.  A simple toilet paper roll cozy would do great wonders even for the cheapest kind of toilet paper, don't you think?


I used scraps of fabric for this project. It would have been a lot easier if I had just used a single piece of fabric instead of doing patchwork, but the end result is really pretty good, isn't it?


The top closes with a drawstring and the toilet paper is pulled through the hole.


The toilet paper is pulled from the center of the roll rather than from the outermost layer.  In order to do this, I had to remove the cardboard cylinder in the middle.


As always, the trickiest part was attaching the circle base.  The key here is using accurate measurements.  It's not really as hard as it seems.

It was nice being able to do some sewing today for a change.  This toilet paper roll cozy is certainly something I would proudly take with me anywhere. Cute and functional. What do you think?

6 comments:

  1. just when I started wondering, what kind of toilet paper you have (because ours has this carton roll in the middle, too), you explained.
    what a great idea! and really pretty.
    If I ever get to have a house with a guest toilet room, I will definitivly sew one like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat idea and such lovely work!
    This would also work for spills, make-up removal and scores of other uses.
    Thanks for sharing : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so I'm always running out of kleenex and using toilet paper to blow my nose (I have vicious allergies 12 mos. of the year). Your holder is sheer brilliance! Toilet paper is cheaper than kleenex and now it can be pretty too!!! Any tips on making this? Or are you going to have the pattern available in your etsy shop? Inquiring minds want to know...now excuse me while I go blow my nose...for the millionth time today!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Loralynn,

    I am actually thinking of making a pattern...but still doubting if anybody (other than you!) would be interested in it. Do you think I should go ahead with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say Go ahead, what is there to lose?
    Best wishes,
    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That idea is clever!...I wish TP had aloe in it so my nose wouldn't turn red....I'm a every morning blower..myself...check out the new things I'm sewing at Mel's Designs...www.cabinfever228.blogspot.com....
    have a great day...Mel

    ReplyDelete